According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 4.2 square miles (11 km2), all of it land.
Mt. Airy was established in 1830 and continued to develop throughout the decade, beginning with the construction of house settlements along Parr’s Ridge. A man named Henry Bussard built the first of these houses. This town was known for its train station on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) at Parr’s Ridge. The railroad ran from Baltimore to Frederick, two popular towns to the east and west, respectively, of Mt. Airy. Following 1830, the town received its official name after the suggestion of “Mount Airy” from an Irish B&O worker who complained about his freezing ears on a windy work day. Over the years, milling, canning and sewing industries initially helped support Mt. Airy’s economy.
Outside the town limits, the surrounding countryside is colloquially referred to as Mount Airy or the “Four-County Area” by locals. The “Four-County Area” derives its name from the fact that the “Mount Airy” mailing area encompasses portions of Frederick, Carroll, Montgomery, and Howard counties.
Mount Airy entrepreneurs have a huge opportunity for expansion and capital is in great demand… at First Down Funding we love servicing Mount Airy Business Owners and we provide fast processing to all loan applications. Apply online or call one of our expert Mount Airy funding consultants. First Down Funding is your small business funding source for Silver Spring small business owners.